Poughkeepsie Farm Project Creates New Position to Increase Food Access

Poughkeepsie Farm Project Creates New Position to Increase Food Access and Community Education

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – Poughkeepsie Farm Project (PFP) is working with Scenic Hudson to create a part-time Farm Steward position to run a new quarter-acre urban farm taking root in the heart of Poughkeepsie from April-October 2021. The Pershing Avenue Farm will be a community-led food resource and skill-building hub for children and families that lack easy access to fresh produce and after-school programming.PFP’s new position will support and sustain the community garden and implement educational programming at the farm.

The formal agreement with PFP, Scenic Hudson, and the City of Poughkeepsie includes working collaboratively within the Pershing Avenue Neighborhood with community groups, churches, businesses, and schools to educate, engage, and ensure adequate and culturally sensitive outreach to recruit a total of 19 garden bed caretakers for the farm. For PFP to fulfill this mission, it has partnered with Glynwood Foundation, Dutchess Outreach, Nubian Directions, New City, and Ecological Citizens Project.

Providing experiential learning programs to the Poughkeepsie community is part of PFP’s 2021 strategic plan to ensure accessible and equitable food distribution avenues for all in the community.

PFP’s Executive Director, Madeline Henriquez said “Our mission is to cultivate local leadership in sustainable farming, food access, and education to foster an inclusive and welcoming community for everyone. We envision a community that works collaboratively to provide equitable access to nutritious food through a just and resilient food system.”

PFP has grown its impact substantially since it began in 1999 with three acres of revived farmland leased from Vassar College and 70 CSA shareholders.

Twenty years later, the organization has grown to support 500 CSA shareholders that take home 80% of the 90 tons of certified naturally grown produce harvested each year from PFP’s 15-acre urban farm. The other 20% is distributed through PFP’s Food Share program, which aims to address hunger, increase local food access, and create a healthier community.

The farm is also an educational resource for children, teens, and adults to experience learning through a variety of hands-on activities, such as identifying and harvesting vegetables, cooking with farm-fresh produce, and interacting with the environment on farm tours. Each year, PFP reaches more than 7,000 children and adults through its educational programming. 

To learn more about Poughkeepsie Farm Project and the Farm Steward position, contact Executive Assistant, Lydia Hatfield at pfpadmin@farmproject.org.

 #   #   #