Arlington Fire District battles wood-stove fire in town

According to Mid-Hudson News, TOWN OF POUGHKEEPSIE – A Thursday night fire displaced three adults in the Town of Poughkeepsie after a chimney malfunction. The blaze was reported at approximately 9:14 p.m. on January 19, 2023. The residential dwelling on Dutchess Turnpike (Route 44) is on the north side of the road in the vicinity of Eastdale Village.

The Arlington Fire Department responded within minutes of the 911 call and confirmed a fire in the rear of the multi-story dwelling. A second-alarm was sounded, bringing an engine and manpower from the City of Poughkeepsie.

The Town of Poughkeepsie Police closed Route 44 in both directions as fire apparatus began to arrive and assess the situation.

According to Arlington Fire District Chief Bill Steenbergh, officials believe that the cause of the blaze was a “Defect in the wood stove’s triple-wall stove pipe that allowed the fire to extend to the exterior wood siding of the house as well as the roof of the structure.” The veteran chief noted that the fire investigators from the Arlington Fire District were continuing to investigate the blaze.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content